9th Round military talks was “positive”: India and China issues statement

Share this Article
Advertisement
India and China said on Monday that the ninth round of talks between military commanders to resolve a months-long border confrontation in the Himalayan region of Ladakh had been “positive, practical and constructive.”

“The two sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops,” a joint statement issued by India’s defence ministry said.

The nuclear-armed neighbours deployed thousands of troops in the remote snow deserts of Ladakh last summer when tensions flared after 20 Indian soldiers were killed in hand-to-hand combat. The Chinese suffered an undisclosed number of casualties.

Advertisement

It is also to be mentioned here that ‘A fresh face-off’ took place between Indian and Chinese soldiers in Nakula area of North Sikkim on January 20 this year and the same was resolved by local commanders as per established protocols, the Indian Army said in a statement on Monday.

India and China are locked in an eight-month-long bitter border standoff in eastern Ladakh that has significantly strained their ties. Both sides held a series of diplomatic and military talks to resolve the row. However, no breakthrough has been achieved to end the standoff till now.

Advertisement

17 Replies to “9th Round military talks was “positive”: India and China issues statement

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *